Barry Love Island
A fun free coastal event to celebrate love at Barry Island on Sunday 13th February 2022 between 11am and 2pm.
Say it in sand by creating your very own ‘Heart Art’ on the beach, sending your own messages of love to one another, our planet and to those we lost.
Additionally families will be able to follow our ‘Nature Love Trail’ highlighting fun facts on how common beach wildlife, like barnacles, find love on the rocks!
There will also be a ‘Love Arch’ for those special selfie moments with loved ones (or proposals?!) and face painting on site.
How do we take part?
The aim is to create a beach full of hearts sending your own messages of love to one another, our planet and to those we lost. In order to do this we need you to make ‘Heart Art’.
Please get your free tickets online before you take part.
There are 2 ways you can take part:
1. Make Heart Art at home and bring it with you.
2. Create Heart Art on the beach on the day.
What are the Heart Art rules?
- You can make as many pieces of Heart Art as you like. More the better!
- Heart Art can be placed, or made, on Barry Island Beach (Whitmore Bay) on Sunday 13th February between 11am and 2pm only.
- On arrival at the beach please check in with Beach Academy located on the beach between bays 4 and 5 off the promenade.
- Your piece of ‘Heart Art’ needs to be in the shape of a heart (or hearts). Your heart can be created at home and brought to the beach, or created on site on-the-day.
- Heart Art can be 2d like a drawing in the sand, or a 3d construction, made with human bodies or natural beach objects. Creativity highly encouraged.
- This is an entirely leave-no-trace event and all installations and artworks must be removed at the end of the day or left to wash away by the incoming tide.
- Don’t forget to add a message of love. What will your message be?
- Heart Art will take place from 11-2pm
- Try to be biodegradable and eco friendly. Please do not add to the marine litter already causing unknown harm in our oceans. Even small pieces of litter can cause huge damage.
Nature Love Trail
How do we take part?
Please select the total number of 'nature love trail' tickets/sheets required at (free) checkout
On the day, simply pick up your nature love trail sheets from Beach Academy located on Barry Island Beach (Whitmore Bay) between bays 4 and 5 off the promenade. Trail sheets will be available between 11am and 2pm.
The trail will follow easy paths (wheelchair and pram friendly) around other Barry Island bays and highlight the amazing ways that marine wildlife found on our shores find love!
If you wish to be entered into a prize draw to win a family rockpooling session with Beach Academy your sheet will need to be completed and returned by 2:30pm. This is not compulsory.
Is anything else happening?
Yes. We will have a beautiful ‘Love Arch’ installed on the beach for selfies with your loved ones and heart face-painting available from 11-2pm.
Is it all free?
Yes. The coastal event is brought to you as part of Vale of Glamorgan Council Events programme, delivered by Beach Academy Wales.
Can we take part if we haven’t registered online?
Yes. But please pop to the Beach Academy desk located on the beach between bays 4 and 5 off the promenade to register on the day.
Be safe. If you feel unwell with any of the classic 3 Covid symptoms (new persistent cough, loss of taste or smell or fever), please do not attend the event. It’s also advised you bring a hand sanitiser. Masks are not mandatory for outdoors.